Here's my knockoff of the Qdoba Mexican Grill Naked Veggie Burrito Bowl.
It's filling, flavorful and full of good for you ingredients. I call this a throw together meal as it combines a building block foods, (healthful items I always have cooked and ready to go in my fridge), with a few pantry staples into an amazing meal.
Building block foods - click links for recipes
Cooked brown rice
Oven roasted vegetables
black beans, canned - reserve liquid
1/2 jalapeno pepper, remove seeds and finely chop
1/2 avocado, cubed
- In a saucepan, heat the canned black beans with the liquid over medium heat. Add chopped jalapeno, some paprika and cumin to taste (~1/2 teaspoon). Stir and simmer till warmed thru. Do not boil.
- If your cooked rice and roasted vegetable are cold from the refrig - reheat them.
- Meanwhile, wash, dry and lightly chop your salad greens. I really enjoy a mix of spicy arugula with a tender baby spinach. This time I used a baby spinach and baby kale mix. Place the greens in the bottom of your bowl.
- Top with brown rice, ~1/3 cup.
- Layer on about 1/3 cup of your seasoned black beans. (Use a slotted spoon to drain off the liquid.)
- Pile on an ample serving of roasted vegetables. (The pictured mix contained zucchini, red onion, portobella mushrooms and carrots.)
- Garnish with chopped cilantro (about 1 tablespoon) and cubed avocado.
- Sprinkle the juice of half a lime across the top and a few tablespoons of your favorite salsa. (My current favorite is Original Juan Smoked Jalapeno Batch #218 Salsa - amazing flavor and spicy kick.)
This bowl is fantastic! There's a whole lot going on... you get spicy heat from the beans and salsa, cool creaminess from the avocado, bright flavor from the lime and cilantro, meatiness from the roasted mushrooms, a touch of sweet from the carrots and nuttiness from the brown rice. All the flavors and textures come together beautifully.
This version is also vegan. natural and Daniel Fast friendly. Mix it up to fit your tastes. Change the veggies, add some grilled chicken, beef or shrimp - it's your bowl - do what you wanna do!
Foods that are good for you can taste so good.
Salsa image source orginaljuan.com